Pediatric Eye Exams
There are many things your children can communicate clearly. If their throat hurts they can explain. If they have a stomach ache, they’ll let you know. But, when their vision starts to go fuzzy or they’re having trouble seeing they may not have the words to describe what’s going on.
This is why it’s so important to take your child to the eye doctor regularly for checkups. Not only will regular checkups alert you to early signs of problems, but they can also provide vital information about the health of your child’s eye.
Symptoms of Eye Problems in Children
Because children may not understand that poor vision is the cause of their problems it might be difficult for them to let you know what’s going on. If you notice the following problems, it might be a good idea to call us for an appointment:
• Avoiding school
• Blurry vision
• Complaining of eye pain or headaches
• Difficulty seeing what’s written on the board
• Double vision
• Struggling grades
• The homework fight lasts longer than normal
• Trouble reading and writing
If your child is experiencing these symptoms or you notice behavior that indicates your eye may have problems with his or her eyes (rubbing, watering, walking into doorframes, etc.), it is better to rule out potential problems right away.
What to Expect During a Pediatric Eye Exam
When you see an Optometrist in Texas City at Texas City Eye Consultants PLLC, these are some of the things you can expect during a pediatric eye exam for your child:
• Visual inspection of the eye.
• Our eye doctor, Dr. Jose Correa, will use an ophthalmoscope to examine the back of your child’s eye.
• Dr. Correa will conduct corneal light reflex testing using a small flashlight.
• We will look for misalignment of the eyes and we will conduct visual acuity testing that is age appropriate for your child.
These tests can help us determine if your child needs glasses and if your child has some of the common eye problems that affect children today, including:
• Refractive Errors (including nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatisms)
Call Texas City Eye Consultants PLLC Today!
If you are concerned about your child’s eye health don’t delay in getting the care your child needs. At Texas City Eye Consultants PLLC, we take great pride in providing age-appropriate eye health service to all our patients. Our dedicated eye doctor works tirelessly to not screen for and accurately diagnose eye conditions in children, but also to determine the most effective treatment for your child as an individual.